Over more than 7 million people, all around the world are affected by scalp psoriasis. This hair condition can range from mild to severe, causes itching, and discomfort.
Many people think psoriasis as dandruff. Because it’s very similar to dandruff or other conditions that, involve the excess production of sebum or androgens.
Scalp Psoriasis as an Autoimmune Condition:
An immune system is commonly the factor which contributes in causing scalp psoriasis. Scalp psoriasis is a very common skin condition in which, skin cells multiply faster than the normal speed and results in red spots/ scars, scaly patches with the silver lining.
There are many autoimmune conditions that can trigger hair loss which includes, alopecia areata and lupus.
Symptoms of Scalp Psoriasis:
Following are the symptoms of Scalp Psoriasis:
- dandruff-like flaking
- dry scalp
- burning sensation
- hair loss
When these symptoms of scalp psoriasis begin to appear then, it chokes out your hair follicles and blocks your healthy hair from re-growing. Scalp psoriasis doesn’t occur over your entire scalp.
Is There a Connection Between Scalp Psoriasis and Hair Loss?
Yes…..!!! There is a link between Scalp Psoriasis and Hair Loss. But scalp psoriasis doesn’t directly cause hair loss but extreme itching and picking your scalp can ultimately lead to a temporary hair loss.
Even some of the products to treat scalp psoriasis can also lead to your hair breakage and hair loss. Once your hair condition is cured properly with suitable treatment then your hair will regrow itself.
Psoriasis can be treated if it affects any part of the body. But if scalp is affected then it’s very difficult to cure. And anyone can get it at any age.
Visit a Trichologist at the Hair Transplant Clinic:
If you are a victim of Scalp Psoriasis and noticing the above-mentioned symptoms, then consulting a trichologist in Dubai is always a good idea. Otherwise, you may scratch your head to get rid of inflammation sensation and your scalp skin would flake out soon.
Rushing to trichologist at the hair transplant clinic is very important. So that he would be able to evaluate treatment options to safely cure your hair loss caused by scalp psoriasis. And it’s always a better option as compared to self-diagnosis.
Arrange an Appointment:
Arrange an appointment with the Trichologist at the hair transplant clinic. He will examine your scalp and then will tell you the actual reason behind your scalp psoriasis and its severity. Psoriasis can be determined by a naked eye so the trichologist won’t perform tests on you.
Treatment Options for Scalp psoriasis:
1. Injections/ Biologics:
The trichologist may recommend you to use injections, which are also known as biologics. These injections help suppressing the factor behind scalp psoriasis.
2. Creams, Shampoos:
- corticosteroid creams
- Oils like mineral oil. You can apply it directly on the affected area of your the scalp overnight
- sprays, like Clobex
- foams, like steroid foams
- Medicated shampoos comprising ingredients like selenium or tar can also be used to cure scalp psoriasis.
3. Vitamin Steroids:
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin A
4. Oral Medications:
- methotrexate (Trexall)
- oral retinoid
- cyclosporine (Neoral, Restasis, Sand immune, Gengraf)
- apremilast (Otezla)
- biologic drugs
5. Useful Tips for Itching:
The trichologist may also suggest you to follow these tips to alleviate itching on your scalp:
- Use a conditioner after shampooing your, to keep your scalp hydrated.
- Try to use hair products which contain Menthol as an ingredient.
- Either abstain or reduce the use of heat styling tools like curling irons, straightener or blow dryers.
- If you feel itching on your affected area of the scalp, then hold a wet compress or a cold pack against it. It will help combat inflammation.
6. Lifestyle Changes:
- Avoid alcoholic beverages because alcohol makes your scalp psoriasis worse.
- Try to reduce your stress level.
- Abstain scratching your scalp because with the passage of time it leads to hair loss.
- Avoid going out in the direct sunlight or cold and dry weather.
There isn’t any long lasting cure for your scalp psoriasis but there are some solutions of which you’ll be instructed by a trichologist at Hair Transplant Dubai Clinic.
Don’t leave it Untreated:
If you don’t get treated your scalp psoriasis in time with an appropriate treatment then, it could lead to a permanent hair condition. Later, it would be impossible to reverse your psoriasis.
Scalp psoriasis Recovery Time period:
Your treatment plan can take couple of weeks to show better results. Or almost 8 weeks to properly control your psoriasis.